Construction costs always seem to be going up regardless of the economic times. Putting together a construction budget is more important now than ever. The following information can help you decide where to cut costs or where you can splurge, depending on your needs & budget.
Confused about where to begin, what to do & how to get there?
We can work with you in collaboration at every step of the way!
Wherever you are in your development process, Comet Studios can help you create the best possible solutions. Our insight and experience will help you to achieve your goals and a return on your investment by simplifying complex planning issues.
Regardless of project size, we can offer flexible, cost effective and efficient support, custom tailored to each individual project’s requirements. Comet Studios offers economical, efficient and personalized attention to all phases of site planning, architectural design, construction documentation & renewable energy solutions.
Taos Ski Valley tends to run higher, regardless of home type, due to location, elevation & weather conditions.
• Economy home: $100-$150 p.s.f.
• Low-end custom home: $150-$175 p.s.f.
• Mid-range custom home: $175-$225 p.s.f.
• High-end custom home: $225 p.s.f. and up
• 2×6 garage, insulated, slab, stucco, sheetrock: $85-$120 p.s.f.
• Typical portal w. slab floor: $85-$100 p.s.f.
• Typical carport w. slab floor: $85-$100 p.s.f.
• Typical kitchen: $300-$350 p.s.f.
• Typical bath: $250-$300 p.s.f.
• Typical LR or BR: $150-$1750 p.s.f.
• Permits per $1,000: $2.50-$4.75
• Workers Comp insurance: 15-20% of payroll
• Contractor profit & overhead: typically 15% , can be 10% on 10%
• Gross Receipts tax: town 8.1875% county 7.125%
• Annual price increases: historically 5-7%, recently lower
2012-2013 Estimated Construction Cost Guidelines
Architecture & engineering services, renewable energy solutions, landscaping, permits & other fees are additional as needed.
Utility Package (builder’s cost): $20,000
2,000 s.f. Home @ $175/sf (builder’s cost): $350,000
300 s.f. attached Portals @ $115/sf (builder’s cost): $34,500
500 s.f. Garage @ $100/sf (builder’s cost): $50,000
15% Profit & Overhead: $68,175
8% Gross receipts tax: $54,540
Estimated total: $576,715
Read the complete Comet Studios_Construction_Costs_2012-2013 »
Comet Studios offers full comprehensive planning, design & real estate development services for residential & commercial clients. Our projects vary from:
- Single Family Homes
- Cabins & Log Homes
- Custom Estates
- Condominiums & Live / Work Lofts
- New Urbanism Planning
- Land Analysis & Acquisition
- Real Estate Planning & Development
- Environmentally Conscious Renewable Energy Solutions
John Halley is founder and president of Comet Studios, a firm that has specialized in energy efficient passive and active solar home design for over 35 years. Comet Studios offers full comprehensive planning, design & real estate development services for residential & commercial clients. Comet Studios is also the exclusive Moreno Valley area dealer for Solar Logic computer equipped hydronic heating controllers and SolarLogic’s related standardized hydronic heating system design.
Serving Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Santa Fe, Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico and beyond!